Added value of ISO 26000
ISO 26000 brings added value to the further development and application of Social Responsibility:
The same language, terminology, concepts and definitions worldwide
- Transparency at last: What is Social Responsibility?
- Uniform internal communication and external communication to stakeholders.
- Precludes unnecessary discussions and saves a great deal of time.
Agreement on Social Responsibility principles
- Provides an ethical direction (standards and values) of SR.
- Offers coordination for good organizational governance.
- Additions based on own principles and cultural values are possible.
Agreement on Social Responsibility issues
- Overview of all issues that contribute to sustainable development.
- Provides insight into possible actions.
- Helps determine relevance to an individual’s own organization.
Connection with familiar systems including
- Quality management: ISO 9001, ISO 9004, EFQM.
- Environmental management and occupational health and safety: ISO 14001, OHSAS 18001, SA 8000.
- GRI 3.1 and G4 for SR reporting and indicators.
Framework for adaptation of international treaties, conventions and initiatives for SR based on one’s own organization
- UN Bill of Human Rights.
- UN ILO conventions (for example, fundamental rights of employees)
- Millennium Development Goals à Sustainable Development
- UN Global Compact Ten Principles
- UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights (framework John Ruggie)
- OECD Guidelines for Multinational Enterprises.
Support in setting the Social Responsibility priorities right
- Ordering SR issues by determining relevance and significance.
- Provides criteria for determining SR priorities.
- Guarantees the correct SR focus.
Practical guidelines for Social Responsibility implementation
- Integrating SR in policy, vision and strategy.
- Integrating SR in daily practice.
- Addressing the sphere of influence and chain responsibility.
- Identifying and managing stakeholders.
- Communicating about SR.
- Selecting sustainability initiatives.
ISO 26000 also specifies the general advantages of Social Responsibility such as strengthening an organization’s reputation and supporting an organization’s licence to operate.